Friday, April 30, 2010

When Daddy Comes Home - my response

This story hit me eerily close to home.  My dad used to be a pastor.  He is also very strong and proud.  He was not quite like this man in terms of his ability to capture emotion, but he was definitely captivating.  As I read, I tried to imagine what it would be like to take care of my dad as he got older and sicker.  Honestly, if my mom wasn't around, I'm not even sure he would have the will to live...but that's for another day.
It was moving to hear how he spoke and the things he said too.  For example, on one of his old sermon tapes, he said, "But if you stand with God when the chips are down...Jesus, keep me near the cross."  As a Christian...and as someone who is going through a very hard time with a lot of pain right now, I whispered this prayer after I read it.  Something about it...Jesus, keep me near the cross...just gets me.

No comments:

Post a Comment