Monday, February 8, 2010

An American Man at Age 10 - my reaction

The American Man at Age 10 is written by Susan Orlean. It's a short story out of our Feature Writing assigned book. It's about Colin Duffy, a ten year old boy whom Orlean follows for a little over two weeks. She literally showed up at his house in the morning, and just followed him through his school day, all the while interviewing his parents, teachers, and anyone else who knew him. Talk about immersion!

The biggest reaction I had to this piece was in regards to my own brothers. I have three younger brothers, all very different, but all very similar in that when it came to the basics of a typical 10 year old, they were spot on. As such, my brothers were very similar to Colin at 10 years old. Seemingly sophisticated little men with the interests of boys - like video games, and not admitting that they liked other little girls. They would sneak in video games when mom and dad were not paying attention. They would punch girls who they liked and yell and scream at you if you gave them that look that said, "oooo you have a crush!" I think boys at 10 are fun, and funny.

I love the angle she took with this story - writing about Colin as though he were a man. Like how Colin "lives with his mother, Elaine; his father, Jim...", as though Colin has a choice. I also think she really captures the mind of a 10-year-old. Like when she asks him these questions, and he says he doesn't know any women. Or when he asks her if she will have an abortion if her baby is a boy.

Loved this story. I can't believe how much time she spent really immersing herself! Again, the immersion involved in these great feature writers is a bit amazing to me...

No comments:

Post a Comment